This is the last week you will have to spend your old £1 coins!
As from 16th October, the round £1 coin will no longer be legal tender as it gets fully replaced by the new 12-sided version.
The new coin
After this week the only £1 coins you will be able to use is the new 12 sided version. Here are a few fact about the new coin:
- Thickness: 2.8mm – thinner than old coin
- Weight: 8.75g – lighter than old coin
- Outer ring: gold – coloured, made from nickel-brass
- Inner ring: silver – coloured, made from nickel-plated alloy
- Diameter: 23.43mm – larger than old coin
- How many in circulation: 1.5 billion
The old £1 coins will be melted down to make new ones.
Coins down the back of the sofa?
With the deadline to use the old £1 coin under a week away, here are some of the places to look for them:
- Pockets of the coat(s)
- In your jean pockets
- Down the back of the sofa
- Supermarket bags
- Gym bag(s)
- Under the car seats
(source: BBC news)
You’ve only got a week left so why not treat yourself to a brand new app for your business! We design business apps for any industry, from restaurants, gyms, trades and more! You tell us what you want for your app and we’ll do our best to make it happen!
Get in touch with us today on 01524 544 744 or head to our contact page, we can’t wait to hear from you!